Flowtite South Africa has been selected by the Zimbabwe National Water Authority (ZINWA) to supply pipes for the Matabeleland Zambezi Water Project (MZWP). Flowtite Technology’s subsidiary will lay pipes that will carry raw water from the Gwayi-Shangani Dam to the city of Bulawayo.
The second phase of the Matabeleland Zambezi Water Project (MZWP) is on track. The Zimbabwe National Water Authority (ZINWA) has signed an agreement with Flowtite South Africa for the supply and installation of drinking water pipes in Zimbabwe. The pipes will be laid over a distance of almost 260 km to bring raw water from the Gwayi-Shangani Dam to the town of Bulawayo in the arid Matabeleland region.
The Zimbabwean government plans to treat this water for household use and send some of the raw water to irrigate the area. The dam’s reservoir will be capable of holding 634 million m3 of water when it is commissioned in 2022. China International Water and Electric Corporation (CWE) is carrying out the work.
A $50 million contract
The pipes manufactured by Flowtite South Africa are GRP (glass fibre reinforced plastic). The subsidiary of the Norwegian group Flowtite Technology says that 52% of the pipes will be imported from South Africa. The company aims to build a factory in Zimbabwe by the end of 2022, to manufacture the remaining 48% of the equipment.
The value of the contract signed by Flowtite is $50 million. Under the agreement with Zinwa, the company will also train civil contractors and staff of the Zimbabwean government agency. The goal is to secure the water supply in the arid Matabeleland North province.
The third component of the Matabeleland Zambezi Water Project will install another pipeline from the Zambezi River to the Gwayi-Shangani Dam.